Nov 2, 2011

Philippine Folklore Exhibit Silliman University 2003

Best Blogger Tips
During this time of my venture in painting on my college days, I approached the subjects more simpler and did a lot of etching.

The exhibit focused on lower Philippine Mythology since it was one of our favorite topics to talk about with my fellow artists. I had two pieces displayed. Below are the details.

The Absence of Raja Indarapatra
90x90cm
Acrylic on Canvas


















This piece talks about the creation of the world. One of the creation stories of Raja Indarapatra involved a giant bird called the Mela and two fish, the sea, clouds, and nothing more. The fish were taunting the Mela and the Mela trying to get even with the fish threw rocks at them. Where did the Mela get the rocks? I have no idea. Hopefully it didn’t crap rocks. Maybe it did. Hehe.


The Meeting
90x90cm
Acrylic on Canvas



















Philippine folklore usually involves the church, a dark forest, and the night. Two of my favorite Philippine myth creatures are the Tikbalang (Head of a horse and body of a man) and the Sigbin (in Australia, it would probably be associated with a Kangaroo, and in America, a llama perhaps?). They both smoke cigars. Here I pictured them meeting up as friends (though some may say they are enemies).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...