Nov 1, 2011

How I joined OGPA + 0203 Exhibit

Best Blogger Tips
In 1998, I transferred from a metropolis to a small (but growing) city for college. I honestly wanted to take a Fine Arts course but it wasn't available (then). However, there was an art organization in the university called the Order of the Golden Palette where I was invited to join.



When the Arts and Sciences building was new, I believe it was Room 112, in a psychology class, that I would draw some comic book characters on the desk chair I assigned myself to (free for all seating). Then on the next meeting at the same room, my drawings on the desk chair had additional shading which I didn't do, so I wrote a comment "thanks for the shading" then added another character. The next session had a comment saying something like thanks, care to join an art organization? So that got me interested since I loved drawing and the sort and thought to myself that this is a good venue to use my talent. Well, after that, I asked around about the art organization since the janitors cleaned the desks of our mess (I admit, it was wrong for me to use the desk as a drawing surface hehe). Then before you know it, I was in!

Here are the paintings that I made for an open theme exhibit back in college. The title of the exhibit was OGPA 0203. The exhibit was held at the Silliman Univeristy Library back 2002. The series of paintings below involve chickens and their life. Well, sort of. The first piece I made for this set was "We are Watching", followed by "Donde Los Hombres Unidos", then "Requiem Aeternam". What made me paint this set was because my neighbor was into rooster fighting and it seemed to me (and to others) that his roosters were more important than his children. Just another side story but it got me thinking of how I can translate my thoughts on canvas. If you'll notice the "dashes" around the black outlines, that was very evident on my style from 2001-2005(? I'll edit this once I figure out the exact date when I stopped outlining my paintings). I was much influenced by a local artist Jutze Pamate and a Bacolod artist Charlie Co.


  
Title: Requiem Aeternam
Acrylic on Canvas
90x90cm

Title: We Are Watching
Acrylic on Canvas
90x90cm




Donde Los Hombres Unidos
Acrylic on Canvas
90x90cm


Below is a picture when we were setting up the exhibit. Perfecto Medina (a very strong Oil medium user and photographer) on the far left, Mark Beley (who was set for his performance/installation piece), Rex Leopoldo (Photography), Irish Sequihod (watercolor and acrylic and lover of) Dennis Udtohan (Acrylic, pen and ink). The folks below are just some of the members of the organization.

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of their works since it's been a decade and all. I do hope I get to have an exhibit with the OGPA folks again (or at least my batch).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...