Nov 3, 2011

Jay, the Door Knob, and WWJD

Best Blogger Tips
Rain continues to stretch the whole night with the bell of the dog ringing around the house as I faced a figurative wall: the Door Knob. 

Then I thought to myself and snickered: “what would Jesus do?” He'd probably send an angel or two to get it fixed or He'd touch it then voila! But seriously, instead of thinking what would He do, how would he act? With my door knob experience, I acted more brute than man.

It’s been a pretty busy week: painting, doing some errands, varnishing some paintings, clearing things up for my transfer, forecasting activities, more painting, more painting, more painting, and... the sort. I was hoping tonight would be a night where I can end it without having to feel uneasy (I feel this way when there are so many things happening).

exhibit a. retouching paintings doesn't take a few minutes...














To give in to my cravings (which I thought would ease my uneasy feeling) of having something sweet, I decided to call McDonald’s for a hot fudge sundae (which ended up with me getting a mcchicken sandwich with fries and exchanged the soda for a pineapple juice to lessen the guilt). As I went out the main door to the receiving area of the roof deck apartment I live in to open the gate leading to my apartment (which I do regularly to prevent the dog from barking), there I had a perturbed  feeling that the *click* of the door didn’t sound right. And as how people say your gut is usually right, I was right to have thought that the door knob had a problem. It. Would. Not. Open. It would not open in the sense that the knobs would turn yet the bar that makes love to the wall every time you turn it open has gotten, hmmmm, a lock captivus. My plans for the night were thwarted.

I carried with me to the receiving area the money for my “happy” meal, the premiere issue of Esquire Ph, another local magazine Vault, a small notebook where I write in my goals, a pen, my phone, and my keys in case of emergency.

Thinking this was a funny situation, I texted a good friend of mine that the door malfunctioned and remembered she had a similar situation a few months back. I was with her when she bought a door knob and the shop had a promo of buy 1 get 1, and I declined her offering one to me then and now I’m thinking I should have taken it.

Still in the thought of the “comedy” I was in, I climbed thru the window, got my tools (screwdrivers, cardboard, tape, WD 40), went out, fidgeted with the door knob a bit, fidgeted more, and fidgeted and fidgeted and fidgeted and fidgeted and… *Toot* me in the brain it’s not working.

McDonald’s delivery was in time to distract me so I finished my food as quickly as I could and got back to business.

As I continued to fix the door knob, I was exchanging some messages with Angel, a friend of mine in Cebu, about door knobs and robberies and uneasy sleepless nights because of door knobs. So you can imagine me thinking of all the scenarios that may occur if I don’t fix this. Must. Fix. Door knob. NOW.

After an hour or two, I was able to fix it. Pseudo fix. And there were several occasions that I thought I was going to get a hammer and “fix” it for good. If the knob had a face, it would be in a pulp right now.

But at the end of it all I started to wonder: What would Jesus REALLY Do?

I admit I’m not really a good example as a believer of Christ, but I do try. I guess what I learned is that:

  1. He would fix things. There were several times mentioned in the Bible that Jesus fixed things. He healed people. He brought the dead back to life. He performed so many miracles. He did not leave until things were done correctly. I got a check on fixing things.
  2. Pray. In times of trouble, regardless of how small or big the situation is, prayer is important. I guess it would be blown up to pray for a broken door knob but it’s a good weapon to use when you start to act like a monster (please note that the door knob is not a good weapon). I forgot to check my heart that this little problem got me frustrated and probably I’d act worse (which I had some times before) in bigger situations. I failed on keeping my cool for a bit.
  3. Be happy, things aren’t as bad as it seems. It’s just a door knob. If you can’t fix it, someone else can. Or you can have it replaced or bug the friend who has an extra one. Or use the window as the main entrance. To think about it, I was getting irritated that my shorts were falling of while fixing the door knob (I’m in the process of shedding some pounds) and that should have been funny enough for me to laugh (but the thought of people laughing at me because my shorts were falling would get me *a bit* hot headed I suppose hehe)


Yeah I know, you probably think that it’s weird that when I (pseudo)fixed the door knob light pierces through the rain from the heavens which enlightens me then I go WOW I learned so much. That’s not the point. The point is, this is just a reminder of how we (and especially I) should approach challenges. Of course, there are many other ways to solve problems aside from the one’s I mentioned but at the end of it all, one must remember to keep cool, smile, and do what you can.

My thoughts of unwinding after a long day of working on some paintings by revisiting my goals and magazine reading have been slashed because of the door knob fix and of putting my thoughts here, but it’s all good. It’s a thought I wish to share.

Now I’m about to catch my 40 winks with the rain still doing it’s thing as I notice the dog stare at me as she wishes to jump on the bed.

Have a good one folks. Happy thoughts!

P.S.

here’s a picture of the stuff I brought out with me. I’m excited to finish reading the articles of the magazines and for their next issue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...