Dec 12, 2011

Saturday at the MET Museum: Etched by Acid x100 Lecture on Printmaking and Picasso

Best Blogger Tips
Picasso. I remember his name because in the Batman film by Tim Burton (starring Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger, and Jack Nicholson) there was a scene was when the Joker had a victim and revealed his victim's "jokered" face to Batman and said "It's no Picasso, but I hope you like it!" After that phrase was said by Joker, my curiosity got me going to the school library to find out who this Picasso was (I was about 8 or 9 years old). I didn't appreciate his works back then since I was into comic book illustrators (I thought Picasso was a Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane of some sort). As i grew up and saw more of his art (from his early works and his different phases), I grew to like them, appreciate them, and, well, there is nothing but praise about his talent!


On December 10 I was invited by a friend of my uncle, Ms. Ambie AbaƱo, to attend her lecture on Printmaking and Picasso's prints. Ambie is an amazing artist who won several awards and teaches in UP. My uncle Bruno (a French man who I consider as an uncle since he's a good friend of my mom) met her in Paris while she was studying and he talked about me so that's how I got to meet Ambie and made the world a bit smaller!

The ground floor gallery had at least a hundred original prints (yes, I had a bit of Stendhal Syndrome then) by Picasso and there were moment's when I would stand facing his art and get lost with the simple and sophisticated pieces.

minotauro ciego guiado por una nina en la noche
(Minotuar led by young girl at night i think). My favorite piece in the exhibit. I had to search this on the web since picture taking wasn't allowed in the gallery



Ms. Ambie gave us a history on the Suitte Voillard art pieces of Picasso and also talked about the different styles and the tedious task of creating a print and it's benefits.  There was a demo on how they're made, and the artworks that were created on the spot by several artists (such as Benjamin Turado Cabrera and Angelo Magno) were raffled. I wish I won a piece but it ended well with me going to their studio and attending an exhibit launch they were part of at the Avellana Gallery in Pasay which was a better prize! I am now interested in giving printmaking a shot (especially etching). Below are some photos from the Etched byAcid x100 lecture at the gallery hall where Picasso's work is displayed:) The artworks can be seen at the Metropolitan Museum at Roxas Boulevard up to Jan 7 I think :)

Sir Ben, Angelo, and Ms. Ambie doing a printing demo




the demo artworks that were raffled!
with Ambie! Hello to uncle Bruno!
Ambie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...